Trump Proposes 10,000 White South African Refugees as US Blocks Others
The Trump administration submitted a proposal to Congress to admit an additional 10,000 white South Africans as refugees, raising the annual cap from 7,500 to 17,500 — even as nearly all other refugee admissions remain b
The Trump administration has advanced plans to resettle an additional 10,000 white South Africans in the United States as refugees while continuing to block the entry of refugees from other countries, according to reporting by Democracy Now on May 21.
<cite index="40-3,40-4,40-5">The Trump administration is advancing plans to resettle an additional 10,000 white South Africans in the United States as refugees, with the proposal submitted to Congress lifting the record-low refugee admissions figure from 7,500 to 17,500, with the additional openings reserved for Afrikaners, even as the administration continues to block the entry of refugees from other countries</cite>.
<cite index="8-1">Since October 1, 2025, the United States has admitted just 4,499 refugees—down from 125,000 two years earlier—and all but three come from South Africa</cite>.
'Clear racism'
<cite index="40-7,40-8">Trump has said Afrikaners face racial persecution and genocide in South Africa, claims that have been rejected by the U.N. Human Rights Office, among others, and last year he cut off aid to the country and boycotted the G20 summit in Johannesburg</cite>.
The timing of the proposal is striking: it comes amid widespread xenophobic violence targeting African and Asian migrants inside South Africa itself, with vigilante attacks leaving shop owners beaten and displaced in Durban, Johannesburg, and Pretoria. Yet the Trump administration's focus remains on resettling white South Africans who claim persecution.
"Whiteness is being recast as endangered," Democracy Now quoted Lebohang Pheko, a professor of practice at the University of Johannesburg, as saying.
In an interview with Democracy Now, refugee advocate Sharif Aly described the policy's impact on other communities. On inauguration day, Trump issued an executive order suspending the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program. "What's happening is not only that they're allowing just this one population coming into the U.S., but it's happening to impact the lives of thousands of other people who have went through years of vetting, who have went through years of persecution and violence," he said.
Implications for African diaspora
For African diaspora communities watching from abroad, the policy represents a sharp departure from longstanding refugee norms. Refugees from war-torn Sudan, Somalia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Eritrea — countries that have supplied significant numbers of U.S. resettlements in previous years — now find their cases frozen, even as processing accelerates for a single, racially defined group.
<cite index="10-1,10-2">More recently, over 128,000 people emigrated from South Africa between 2015 and 2020, more than three times as many as between 2010 and 2015, though Afrikaners and Black South Africans generally have much lower emigration rates than their English South African counterparts</cite>.
Civil-rights groups have filed lawsuits challenging the suspension of the broader refugee program, arguing it violates U.S. law and international obligations. The proposal now awaits Congressional review, though the administration has shown willingness to act unilaterally on immigration policy in the past.
For Kenyans and other African nationals hoping to resettle as refugees — whether fleeing political persecution, climate disaster, or armed conflict — the message from Washington is unambiguous: the door remains closed, unless you are white and South African.
Reporting drawn from Democracy Now, Wikipedia, VisaHQ.


