Ghana Delays Evacuation of 800 Citizens from South Africa After Xenophobic Attack Video Goes Viral
Ghana has postponed the planned evacuation of more than 800 citizens from South Africa following a viral video showing the assault of Emmanuel Asamoah, a Ghanaian man, amid a fresh wave of xenophobic violence. Only one p
Ghana postponed the evacuation of more than 800 of its citizens from South Africa on Thursday after a viral video showing the alleged assault of a Ghanaian man triggered widespread outrage across the continent.
The footage, which circulated widely on social media, captured the attack on Emmanuel Asamoah, a Ghanaian living in South Africa, during the latest wave of xenophobic violence targeting foreign nationals in the country. Asamoah and several other foreign nationals were confronted and threatened by individuals who accused them of taking jobs meant for local citizens.
Evacuation stalls at airport
The evacuation exercise, initially scheduled to begin on May 21, was postponed due to the large number of evacuees and legal clearance procedures required by South African authorities, Ghana's Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed on Thursday. "Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met, including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days," the ministry said.
AFP journalists at Johannesburg's O.R. Tambo International Airport reported that only one Ghanaian showed up on Thursday, despite the planned mass evacuation. The ministry added that Ghanaian and South African officials had agreed to accelerate the process.
Victim already home, reintegration package promised
Emmanuel Asamoah, the man seen in the viral video, has since returned safely to Ghana. The government evacuated him in early May after confirming the authenticity of the footage.
Speaking to the media earlier this month, Harold Agyeman, Coordinating Director for Political and Economic Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the government had acted swiftly. "Government is very much conscious of and strongly committed to protecting our nationals abroad. Under the instructions of the minister, Emmanuel Asamoah has been relocated to Ghana to ensure that he is in a safe environment," he stated.
Ghana's government has promised to provide those being evacuated with a reintegration financial package and psycho-social support to help them rebuild their lives after returning home.
Pan-African rhetoric meets harsh reality
The incident highlights a recurring pattern of xenophobic tensions that have periodically emerged in parts of South Africa, often fueled by economic strain and high unemployment. In this instance, attackers reportedly targeted foreign nationals, accusing them of reducing job opportunities for local residents.
The latest tensions have revived uncomfortable debates across Africa about xenophobia, migration, and the gap between pan-African rhetoric and the realities facing African migrants on the continent. Ghana has increasingly pushed for the issue to receive broader continental attention and has tabled concerns around xenophobic violence within African Union discussions, arguing that recurring attacks threaten African integration and free movement ambitions under frameworks such as the African Continental Free Trade Area.
Earlier this month, Ghana's foreign minister formally petitioned for South African xenophobic attacks targeted at Africans to be placed on the agenda at the AU's mid-year meetings.
“"We continue to rely on the assurances given by the South African government that they will stop such activities by their nationals, which could threaten relations with other African countries." — Harold Agyeman, Ghana Ministry of Foreign Affairs”
What comes next
The evacuation is expected to proceed in the coming days once South African legal requirements are met and flight permits secured. Ghana has not announced a revised date, but officials say coordination is underway to complete passenger screening and secure clearance for what would be one of the largest single evacuations of Ghanaian nationals from South Africa in recent years.
Reporting drawn from Channels Television, Punch Nigeria, Ghana Broadcasting Corporation, Citizen Digital, Jacaranda FM, Linda Ikeji's Blog.


