Ghana Delays Evacuation of 800 Citizens from South Africa as Xenophobic Violence Escalates
Ghana postponed the evacuation of more than 800 citizens from South Africa hours before a chartered flight was set to depart Thursday morning, citing legal clearance procedures and the large number of evacuees. The delay

Ghana's government postponed the evacuation of more than 800 of its citizens from South Africa just hours before a chartered flight was scheduled to leave Johannesburg at 5 a.m. on May 21, 2026. The delay underscores the logistical and diplomatic complexities of extracting hundreds of frightened nationals from a country convulsed by anti-migrant violence.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed the postponement Thursday morning, explaining that South African legal requirements—including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination, and flight permits—could not be completed in time for the 300 people slated to board the first plane.
"Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met, including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days," the ministry said in a statement.
Viral video triggers diplomatic crisis
The evacuation plan was announced after a viral video showing the alleged assault of a Ghanaian man in KwaZulu-Natal triggered outrage across West Africa. Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa had vowed that the "welfare and safety of all Ghanaians is a non-negotiable priority of the Mahama Administration."
More than 800 Ghanaians registered with Ghana's High Commission in Pretoria, requesting state-funded repatriation. The government promised evacuees a "Welcome Home Financial Package," psycho-social support, and transportation assistance once they land in Accra.
Ghana summoned South Africa's chargé d'affaires earlier this month and formally requested that xenophobic attacks be placed on the agenda of the African Union's Mid-Year Coordination Summit. President John Dramani Mahama personally approved the evacuation on May 12.
Two Nigerians killed, diplomats warn of deteriorating situation
Nigeria's Consulate in Johannesburg reported the deaths of two Nigerian nationals—Amaramiro Emmanuel and Ekpenyong Andrew—as tensions escalated in recent days. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, chair of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), warned that the situation is worsening despite diplomatic engagement.
"Anyone, regardless of nationality, who commits a crime must face the full force of South African law," she said, while calling on Pretoria to protect migrant communities.
Zimbabwe has also condemned the violence, which reflects years of simmering resentment over jobs, crime, and public services increasingly blamed on African migrants. South Africa's presidential spokesman Vincent Magwenya has rejected accusations of xenophobia, framing the unrest as "pockets" of legitimate public concern rather than systemic prejudice.
Pan-African rhetoric meets harsh realities
The crisis has revived uncomfortable debates about the gap between pan-African solidarity and the lived experience of African migrants on the continent. South Africa once hosted liberation leaders from across the continent during the anti-apartheid struggle; today, migrants from Ghana, Nigeria, Somalia, Ethiopia, and Zimbabwe face vigilante groups and sporadic violence.
For Ghanaian and Nigerian diaspora members watching from the United States, United Kingdom, and elsewhere, the images of terrified compatriots queuing at O.R. Tambo International Airport—only to learn their flight has been delayed—strike a painful chord. Many have family members or business partners caught in the unrest.
What comes next
Ghana's Foreign Affairs Ministry said it is working with South African authorities to "accelerate the process" and expects flights to resume within days. Officials are prioritizing the most vulnerable evacuees—those who have lost businesses, suffered threats, or lack secure housing.
The African Union has yet to publicly address Ghana's formal complaint. For now, the 800-plus Ghanaians remain in South Africa, waiting.
Reporting drawn from Ghana Broadcasting Corporation, Channels Television, Guardian Nigeria, The East African, Nigerian Eye.


