Skip to content
Breaking
Diaspora Updates

Ghana Delays Evacuation of 800 Citizens From South Africa After Xenophobic Attacks

Ghana has postponed the emergency evacuation of more than 800 nationals from South Africa, originally scheduled for May 21, as a viral video of an assault on a Ghanaian man triggered a diplomatic crisis and mass exodus r

Diaspora Updates Team3 min read0 views
Share

Ghana's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has delayed the emergency evacuation of more than 800 Ghanaian nationals from South Africa, originally scheduled to begin May 21, 2026, citing logistical and legal clearance procedures required by South African authorities.

The evacuation effort was triggered by a viral video showing the assault of Emmanuel Asamoah, a Ghanaian living in South Africa, during the latest wave of xenophobic violence targeting foreign nationals. The footage circulated widely across social media earlier this month, sparking outrage and prompting hundreds of Ghanaians to register for repatriation with Ghana's High Commission in Pretoria.

Numbers surge beyond initial plan

According to the Ministry, more than 800 Ghanaians have now registered for evacuation—far exceeding the initial 300 who expressed interest. "Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met, including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days," the Ministry stated May 21.

Sources at Ghana's High Commission in South Africa told local media that the sharp increase in registrations followed government announcements that returnees would receive a reintegration financial package, transportation support, counselling, and access to employment opportunities. The promise of support intensified after Ibrahim Mahama, brother of Ghana's President John Dramani Mahama, publicly donated GH₵200,000 (approximately $13,000) to Asamoah, the assault victim, sparking expectations of similar assistance for other evacuees.

One Ghanaian based in South Africa, speaking to Rainbow Radio under the pseudonym Agya Prince, said some new registrants were motivated by the financial aid rather than genuine safety concerns. "There are several of those who have registered to come back because they saw Ibrahim Mahama provide financial assistance," he said. "Some of them claim the money being offered is state money, and so they want a share of it."

Continental attention demanded

Ghana's Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has pledged that no Ghanaian seeking to return will be left behind, describing the welfare and safety of citizens abroad as a "non-negotiable priority" of the Mahama administration. In a Facebook post May 22, Ablakwa clarified confusion around reports that a lone Ghanaian, Sylvester Boakye, had already been evacuated, calling the claims false.

Boakye reportedly appeared at O.R. Tambo International Airport on May 21 after missing an updated evacuation notice, but no chartered flight had departed. Ghana's High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quarshie, located Boakye and assured him he would be included in the broader evacuation expected to cover all 800 registrants.

On May 6, Ablakwa formally petitioned the African Union Commission to place South African xenophobic attacks on the agenda of the Eighth Mid-Year Coordination Meeting scheduled for June 24–27, 2026, in El Alamein. In his letter, Ablakwa invoked the legacy of Kwame Nkrumah, stating that "Africa's emancipation begins with a collective resolution to ensure that no African is dehumanized on African soil."

Political pressure mounts

Ghana's Minority Caucus on Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee issued a strongly-worded statement May 22 describing the delay as "unacceptable" and questioning the government's crisis management capabilities. The statement, signed by Samuel A. Jinapor, said the postponement "exposes serious gaps in planning and crisis management" and demanded urgent intervention and transparent communication.

Xenophobic violence in South Africa has repeatedly targeted foreign nationals, including Ghanaians, Nigerians, Zimbabweans, Mozambicans, and Somalis. The latest tensions have revived uncomfortable debates across Africa about the gap between pan-African rhetoric and the realities facing African migrants on the continent.

What comes next

Ghana's Ministry has assured affected nationals of the government's commitment to their safe return and noted that senior officials from both countries are actively engaged to finalize evacuation arrangements. South African officials have expressed regret over the incidents and assured continued cooperation, according to High Commissioner Quarshie.

The Ministry urged Ghanaians in South Africa to remain calm, cooperate with authorities, and stay in contact with the High Commission in Pretoria. A new evacuation date is expected to be announced within days once mandatory procedures are completed.

Reporting drawn from Ghanamma.com, Ghanamma.com, Ghana Business News, Citizen Digital (AFP), Diplomatic Times Online, West African Voice Network.

Share
Originally reported by Ghanamma.com.
Last updated about 2 hours ago
More stories