The Ticket Back: How a Quiet Trump Memo Tells Kenyans in America to Apply for Their Green Cards From Home
A new USCIS memo upends a half-century-old route to permanent residency, leaving Kenyan students, nurses, and spouses unsure if they can still adjust status without flying home to Nairobi.
The phone call came on Friday afternoon, Texas time, while Mary was on a break between patients at the long-term care facility where she has worked since finishing nursing school in Houston four years ago. Her immigration attorney's voice was steady, but the words were not. The Trump administration had just released a policy memo, the attorney said. The application Mary had been preparing for months, the one that would have moved her finally from her temporary work permit to a green card, now sat in a different legal landscape than it had that morning. She might still file it. She might not be able to. And if she could not, the path to permanent residency now ran through Nairobi, not Houston.
Mary's story, recounted in the way thousands like it were being recounted across Kenyan WhatsApp groups in the United States over the weekend, captures the unease that has settled over a community that has spent years navigating an immigration system most of its members can barely explain at the best of times. The memo at the centre of it, Policy Memorandum PM-602-0199, dated 21 May 2026, is dry, lawyerly and short. Its consequences may be neither.
What the memo actually says
The memo, signed by US Citizenship and Immigration Services, instructs officers to treat adjustment of status, the process by which a foreign national already inside the United States becomes a permanent resident without leaving, as an extraordinary form of relief rather than a routine administrative step. Going forward, the agency says, applicants should be expected to follow the ordinary route: leave the country, file an immigrant visa application at a US embassy or consulate abroad, attend an interview there, and return only once that visa is in their passport. Adjusting from inside the United States, the memo argues, is a matter of administrative grace that may be granted only in extraordinary circumstances, which the memo declines to define.
USCIS framed the change as a return to the original spirit of immigration law, citing decades-old court decisions and statutory language. Critics framed it as a near-total inversion of how the system has worked since the 1960s. For more than half a century, foreign nationals with valid status, spouses of US citizens, students completing degrees, nurses on H-1B visas, refugees granted asylum, have routinely completed the green card process without leaving the country. The new posture means that for the vast majority of these people, the assumption now runs the other way.
A half-century-old route just got narrower
To understand why this matters, it helps to understand how unusual leaving used to be. The adjustment-of-status process exists, in part, because Congress recognised that uprooting someone with a job, family or studies in the United States to send them back to a consulate abroad for an interview is disruptive and, often, redundant. The applicant has already been vetted, fingerprinted, biometrically recorded and observed by federal agencies for months or years. Consular processing was reserved for those overseas to begin with, or for narrow categories of cases.
The memo does not formally repeal that statute. It cannot. But by directing officers to read discretion maximally and extraordinary circumstances narrowly, the practical effect, immigration lawyers warned over the weekend, is that the in-country route is no longer the default. World Relief, a refugee resettlement organisation, said the rule risks creating an indefinite separation of families because immigrant visa appointments at consulates have backlogs of their own, with some posts taking eighteen months or more to schedule.
Why this lands harder on Kenyans
For Kenyans, the consular alternative carries a hazard that does not exist for everyone else equally. Anyone who has been out of valid immigration status in the United States for more than 180 days triggers an automatic bar from re-entering, three years for shorter overstays, ten years for longer ones, under provisions Congress wrote in 1996. For people who have built lives in the United States while quietly accumulating periods of unlawful presence, the very act of leaving to attend a consular interview could now be the trigger for being kept out.
Several Kenyan immigration practitioners in Washington, Atlanta and Minneapolis have spent the last forty-eight hours telling clients on Signal and WhatsApp that the math has changed. A young Kenyan who came on an F-1 student visa, dropped out of school for a semester, and is now married to a US citizen used to be able to file Form I-485 in Houston and likely emerge with a green card without ever boarding a plane. Under the new memo, the same young person may be told to fly to Nairobi, file a DS-260, wait for a consular appointment, and hope the unlawful-presence months from that one bad semester do not trigger a bar.
The Catch-22 nobody can solve
The other problem is logistical, not legal. Consular sections in Nairobi and other African posts have been short-staffed for years. Visa interview wait times for some categories already stretch past a year. A sudden redirection of green card cases from US offices to overseas consulates does not come with any announced staffing increase at those consulates. World Relief's warning of indefinite family separation is not rhetorical: a Kenyan spouse of a US citizen, sent home to apply, may find no appointment for many months, and may be stuck in Nairobi during that period because the visa they need to return does not yet exist.
Nor is the memo's extraordinary-circumstances exception comforting in its current form. Without a definition, officers will make case-by-case judgements that may differ by field office, by examiner, by day. The lack of clear criteria, attorneys say, is the part that worries them most. People will not know whether their case qualifies until after they have submitted it, paid the fees and exposed themselves to a denial.
What to do this week
The memo took effect immediately. It will almost certainly face legal challenges; immigration advocacy groups were already drafting briefs over the weekend. But until courts intervene, the working assumption among Kenyan immigration lawyers contacted on Saturday was that pending I-485 applications should not be withdrawn, that applications already substantially prepared should be evaluated case by case before filing, and that anyone who has accumulated any period out of status in the United States should not leave the country voluntarily without first consulting counsel.
Mary, in Houston, has decided to wait. Her attorney has paused the filing pending more clarity. She is not alone. In a community that has grown used to reading immigration headlines as policy weather it has to live with rather than influence, the Friday memo has produced a quieter response than the louder political fights of recent months, but a more anxious one. The previous battles were about who could come in. This one is about who, having already come in and stayed, is still allowed to stay.

