From Nairobi, Not New York: How a Single USCIS Memo Could Reroute Kenyan Green-Card Journeys Back Through Home
A May 22 policy memo redefines who can file for permanent residence inside the United States and pushes most Kenyan applicants back to consular interviews on home soil.
The email lands quietly in an inbox in a one-bedroom apartment in Arlington, Texas. A Kenyan nurse — call her Mercy — has been counting weeks. Her employer sponsored her I-140 over a year ago. Her I-485, the adjustment-of-status application that would convert her work visa into a green card, has been sitting at USCIS for nine months. She had already begun planning the small things: a permanent address, a credit union account that wouldn't lock her out, an Easter trip back to Kiambu now that she finally felt free to travel.
Then a single-page memo from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services rewrote her timeline. On May 22, USCIS announced that adjustment of status from inside the United States — the path Mercy and tens of thousands of Kenyans like her had been counting on — would now be granted only in "extraordinary circumstances." Most applicants, the agency said, would be expected to apply from abroad, through consular processing at the U.S. embassy in their home country.
For Mercy, that means the next step in her green-card journey may begin not in Arlington, but in Nairobi.
A Quiet Memo With Loud Consequences
The change was issued not as legislation but as policy guidance, which made it easy to miss in the noise of a busy news week. Yet immigration lawyers who track USCIS bulletins began flagging it within hours.
The Department of Homeland Security described the shift as a return to the "original intent" of immigration law — a reading that treats adjustment of status as an exception rather than a default. USCIS spokesman Zach Kahler said in remarks reported by U.S. and diaspora outlets that temporary admissions to the country were never meant to function as the first stage of a path to permanent residency.
In practice, the memo means that students on F-1 visas, H-1B and L-1 workers, dependents on H-4, B-2 visitors and others who were planning to file for a green card without leaving the country will now generally have to schedule consular interviews abroad. For Kenyans, that almost always means the U.S. embassy in Nairobi.
What "Extraordinary Circumstances" Might Mean
The memo uses the phrase "extraordinary circumstances," but does not define it in any precise way. That ambiguity has set immigration attorneys on edge, because the threshold for staying in-country now appears to sit at the discretion of individual adjudicators.
Drawing on past USCIS practice, several law firms publishing client alerts in the past 48 hours have sketched out what kinds of facts may help applicants argue for domestic processing: long lawful residence in the United States, immediate-relative ties to U.S. citizens or permanent residents, demonstrated hardship to family members if the applicant is required to leave, an unbroken history of immigration compliance, a steady tax record and a clean criminal background. Cases tied to "economic benefit" or "national interest" — language pulled from the memo itself — may also continue to be processed inside the country.
What that adds up to is unclear in any single case. A Kenyan postdoc at a U.S. university with a National Interest Waiver petition and a U.S.-citizen spouse may have a stronger argument than a Kenyan IT contractor whose employer sponsored an EB-3 petition four years ago. Either may still be pulled into the new consular default.
The Backlog Question
Behind the new rule is a queue larger than most applicants realise. USCIS has acknowledged more than one million pending adjustment-of-status cases. The agency said cases offering "economic benefits" or serving the national interest could still be processed inside the United States; others, it suggested, might be transferred to consular offices overseas.
For Kenyans already in the pipeline, that creates two questions with no easy answer. The first is whether their pending I-485 will simply continue to grind toward approval, or whether it will be returned to them with instructions to refile through a consulate. The second is whether they can travel out at all without risking re-entry bars triggered by previous periods of unlawful presence or by recent visa changes.
Michael Valverde, a former senior USCIS official quoted in coverage of the memo, called the policy "largely unprecedented" and warned that it could disrupt the lives of hundreds of thousands of people who had followed the existing rules in good faith. Advocacy groups have raised the same alarm in a different register: that the practical effect of sending people abroad to wait will be long family separations and, for some, an inability to return to the United States at all.
What Kenyans on Temporary Visas Should Do Now
Kenyan immigration attorneys reached by diaspora outlets in the United States are urging clients not to panic, but to act methodically. A few common threads run through the early guidance.
First, do not depart the country before getting written advice. Voluntary departure, even for a short consular interview, can trigger three- or ten-year bars if previous periods of unlawful presence accumulated in the past. Second, gather and preserve every shred of evidence supporting a possible "extraordinary circumstances" argument: U.S.-tied family records, employment letters, tax transcripts, evidence of community ties, medical or caregiving obligations. Third, track the case actively through the USCIS online portal, and respond to any Request for Evidence within the timeframe given. Fourth, treat any in-person USCIS appointment as a potentially decisive moment: take counsel, take documents.
For employers of Kenyan workers, the memo opens a separate set of headaches — particularly for hospitals, universities and tech companies that have built recruitment pipelines around adjustment of status. Several have already signalled, through legal counsel, that they will continue paying for petition costs but advise sponsored employees to plan for the possibility of consular travel.
A Memo That Travels Through Living Rooms
The new policy will be litigated. It will likely be challenged in court, refined through subsequent guidance, and reshaped by political tides between now and the 2028 election. For Kenyans living in the United States today, however, none of that softens the immediate uncertainty.
The most striking thing about the change is how ordinary it looks on paper. A single memorandum, four pages, drafted in measured bureaucratic English. The kind of document that often passes unnoticed. And yet, for a nurse in Arlington, a graduate student in Cleveland, an L-1 manager in Atlanta and a long-time H-1B engineer in Seattle, it could mean the difference between renewing a lease and packing two suitcases for a Nairobi appointment whose date no one can yet confirm.
That is the quiet weight of immigration policy as it is now being practiced in Washington: less by statute than by interpretation, less by debate than by memo, and most heavily felt not in courtrooms but in living rooms, where families try to decide whether the next plane ticket they buy will be a vacation or a long, indefinite return.


